Best Surgery For Weight Loss ?

Long-Term Success With Lap-Band Weight Loss Surgery - 10 Lessons Learned by Successful Patients

Are you thinking about getting a Lap-Band or Realize band? Do you or does someone you care about have a band? It is important to understand how the Lap-Band works to get the best outcome. You may have heard that the Lap-Band is a tool. Discover the 10 lessons learned by successful Lap-Band patients. 
I was someone who struggled with obesity all my life. But now I am someone who has successfully used a Lap-Band to reach and maintain my desired weight.
The manufacturers of the bands have "rules" or "tips" posted on their websites. What I learned from my fellow members of the banded living community is that 1) a lot of us don't like "rules" because we've tried them before and frankly they didn't work as a way of life and 2) we are all different, and we need to work hard to find what works "for me."
So here I am, in my fourth year, and maintaining a normal healthy weight and in the best shape of my life. I devote a lot of time and energy to paying it forward. I mentor lots of folks, some of who are frustrated or struggling and trying to figure out how to get the most out of their tool.
My doctor, my head coach on this banded living journey reminds me over and over again, that it's a tool, and I need to work it. I shouldn't expect "it" to do anything. (A screwdriver can't remove a screw unless you turn it.) 
I have to work it to get the results I want - and for me that was more than the average 5o% Excess Weight Loss. My band helps me with portion control, controls my hunger, and leaves me with a feeling of satiety when I work it. Here are the 10 things I learned about how to use my tool:
  1. stay close to my surgeon and his staff. I have a whole team of people to help me on my journey. It starts with my surgeon who is my head coach. I also surround myself with other successful members of the Banded Living community.
  2. don't drink with meals. It defeats the band.
  3. I make sure I get enough protein everyday.
  4. I eat good quality meals and I don't graze. I do best when I eat for 20 -30 minutes and leave the table.
  5. don't drink my calories - my properly adjusted band helps with portion control but only if I am eating solid foods. (It doesn't restrict ice cream or a high calorie frappuccino, or Long Island Iced Tea).
  6. I've learned to take small bites and chew, chew, chew. I also use small plates.
  7. I've learned what foods are difficult for me, and I stay away from those choices. I have lots of great choices. I've learned to dine and enjoy food again.
  8. always have a plan or a least a plan B, each and every day for how I am going to use my tool. NO EXCUSES. I'm not afraid to carry food with me (Ziploc bags are my friends), or ask a hotel to open the gym at 5:00 am because I'm traveling and have an early meeting.
  9. journal when I need to. I journaled consistently during my first year of Banded Living. When I wander off track, or gain a few pounds, I go back to basics and journal for a while. It helps me stay in my target weight range by keeping me accountable to myself.
  10. make myself a priority. I take care of my health, I eat right, I exercise, I take my vitamins...and live my life to the fullest!
Now I'm not saying that I use my tool perfectly all of the time. What I am saying is that I've learned how to use my Lap-Band to get great results and keep myself in the same (small) pair of jeans for over 2 years. 
When I don't use my tool correctly, I gain a few pounds, but I know how to go back to basics, and keep my weight within a normal, healthy range.
If you or someone you care about has a lap band or is struggling with significant weight issues learn more about Banded Living™ by visiting http://www.bandedliving.com, a community for lap band patients, by lap band patients.
To learn more about how Gloria Samuels uses her lap band to maintain her 90 lb weight loss, visit http://www.gloriasbandedliving.com.
© 2010 Banded Living, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
DISCLAIMER - This article is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice, and is not a replacement for medical care or advice given by physicians or trained medical personnel. Please review the complete Banded Living Medical Disclaimer on our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment